Tuesday, October 18, 2022

Blackwater Falls State Park WV day 2 1330

At home, I never have the chance to do nothing. I cannot walk three feet around my condo without hearing the silent screams of one cluster of things begging for me to pay some attention. If I were to count the different categories of these clusters, there would be tens. The books cluster would be divided into tens, and then in each of them there would be tens upon tens of unfinished or unstated books. On The Road it is the same way. There is always something that needs to be done, things that are not easily avoided. Even my forced layover of five weeks in the Yukon back in 2016 was no time for leisure. After the quotidian chores of the day were behind me, my days were spent working on plans A, B, and C. (For those who do not read my 2016 blog, plan a was to stay in the Yukon and drive the defender home; Plan B was to Paul the defender down to Skagway, onto the ferry, from the ferry, and then to someone who could install the motor in Seattle; plan C was to leave the defender behind and then return sometime in the future to retrieve it. There was no plan D, abandon the defender, and plan a was the one finally executed, albeit until we got to Salina Utah.)

These Monday to Thursday local on the road camping trips or something different. Outside of the myriad quotidian tasks of the day when I am staying put in a camp, there are only three things begging for my attention: reading and writing, walking, or doing nothing. I think this must be the first time in my life that I have ever experienced the option of the latter. I what I am learning is that there is something to be said about that.

It is snowing on and off. The temperature reached 29°, the highest for the day. I drove around the park to get some fuel for the lay of the land, and realized that I had been here once before in the fall of 1994 or 1995 for a land rover off-road event In the Monongahela national forest.



Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment